Pats Dahl soup
1 cup yellow split peas
½ cup red lentils
2 carrots finely chopped
1 onion finely chopped
1 stick of celery finely chopped
1 clove garlic
1 ltr veggie stock
½ red chilli
½ inch ginger
1 tbls tomato paste
1tbls tomato sauce
Sprinkle of cumin, turmeric and extra chilli powder if needed.
1. Cook the lentils and split peas in water for 30 mins then drain. While they are cooking continue with the rest.
2. Lightly fry the onion and carrot in a small amount of oil. Add garlic and chilli when onion is softened. Add celery. Fry lightly.
3. Add the veggie stock and bring to the boil. Add the tomato paste and sauce, and spices.
4. When the lentils and peas are softened add them to the pot. Stir well. Grate in the ginger and ½ lemon zest.
5. Squeeze in ½ lemon juice, season to taste adding more chilli if needed or tomato sauce if too bitter.
6. Chop coriander to garnish et viola!